About our Hosts:
Benoy Thanjan is the Founder and CEO of Reneu Energy and he is also an advisor for several solar startup companies. Reneu Energy is a premier international solar energy consulting firm and developer and the company focuses on developing commercial and industrial solar and utility scale solar plus storage projects. The company also sources financing for solar projects and hedges energy and environmental commodities. Reneu Energy has brokered $27 million in environmental commodities transactions.
Benoy received his first experience in Finance as an intern at D.E. Shaw & Co., which is a global investment firm with 37 billion dollars in investment capital. Before founding Reneu Energy, he was the SREC Trader in the Project Finance Group for SolarCity which merged with Tesla in 2016. He originated SREC trades with buyers and co-developed their SREC monetization and hedging strategy with the senior management of SolarCity to move into the east coast markets. Benoy also worked at Vanguard Energy Partners, Ridgewood Renewable Power, and Deloitte & Touche.
A life-long journalist and communications professional, Li Wang was hooked on the news as an intern at the Philadelphia Daily News during the summer of the O.J. trial. He has been a business reporter, arts editor and film critic. He has shifted his focus to digital marketing and creative services. His company, MJ Wang Media, develops brand messaging and identity through website design and content marketing.
In the first episode of the series, Hosts Benoy Thanjan and Li Wang introduce themselves and tells us what we can expect to learn about the Solar industry and how the world around us is changing for the better. Benoy also talks about his background and how he started in the solar industry. He continues to discuss the pros of solar power and the services his company has to offer. At one point in the interview, he talks about his experience as a 9/11 survivor and how that shaped his life as an entrepreneur. This is a podcast community that you definitely want to be apart of.
Insights from this Episode:
- Introducing the Solar Maverick Podcast series which discusses solar energy, renewable energy, energy storage and the role of entrepreneurship within that industry.
- How Benoy’s work experiences led him to start his own company.
- Tips on how to run a business: adding value to customers, building strong relationships, listening and learning from failure.
- Passion is a motivating factor.
- How solar energy helps humanity.
- Reneu Energy is a top solar energy company.
Quotes from the Show:
- “Sales is everything in having a business: you can have a great idea, but if you can’t sell it, then there’s no point.” - Benoy Thanjan, Episode #1
- “One thing that’s probably helped with your sales is your enthusiasm and confidence for solar energy.” - Li Wang, Episode #1
- “I’m doing something that I’m passionate about, that I love - renewable energy and sustainability.” - Benoy Thanjan, Episode #1
- “I really try to live each day like it’s the last; I don’t take anything for granted.” - Benoy Thanjan, Episode #1