About our Hosts:
Benoy Thanjan is the Founder and CEO of Reneu Energy and he is also an advisor for several solar startup companies. Reneu Energy is a premier international solar energy consulting firm and developer and the company focuses on developing commercial and industrial solar and utility scale solar plus storage projects. The company also sources financing for solar projects and hedges energy and environmental commodities. Reneu Energy has brokered $27 million in environmental commodities transactions.
Benoy received his first experience in Finance as an intern at D.E. Shaw & Co., which is a global investment firm with 37 billion dollars in investment capital. Before founding Reneu Energy, he was the SREC Trader in the Project Finance Group for SolarCity which merged with Tesla in 2016. He originated SREC trades with buyers and co-developed their SREC monetization and hedging strategy with the senior management of SolarCity to move into the east coast markets. Benoy also worked at Vanguard Energy Partners, Ridgewood Renewable Power, and Deloitte & Touche.
A life-long journalist and communications professional, Li Wang was hooked on the news as an intern at the Philadelphia Daily News during the summer of the O.J. trial. He has been a business reporter, arts editor and film critic. He has shifted his focus to digital marketing and creative services. His company, MJ Wang Media, develops brand messaging and identity through website design and content marketing.
Benoy unpacks the prevailing myths about solar energy and solar panels. He discusses it all, from the economics, maintenance and operation of solar panels down to the changing public perception of the aesthetic of solar panels on buildings.
Insights from this episode:
- How to pitch solar as a smart economic choice
- Insights on the various federal and state incentive programs that make solar even more economical
- Strategies for businesses looking to purchase a solar array
- How solar could transform electricity acquisition in post-hurricane communities
- Secrets about Benoy’s next projects in solar, including reaching low-income communities with solar energy technologies
Quotes from the show:
- “As long as the sun is shining, no matter whether it’s cold or hot, the panels will be generating energy.” - Benoy Thanjan, Episode 5
- “One of the great things about solar is the biggest cost is related to the installation and then there’s ongoing operations and maintenance, but it’s pretty low.” - Benoy Thanjan, Episode 5
- “Before it used to be there were a lot of good projects and not a lot of money, and now there’s a lot of money chasing a very small amount of projects.” - Benoy Thanjan, Episode 5
- “To see companies, corporations, who are willing to basically buy renewable energy as part of their corporate strategy has been huge.” - Benoy Thanjan, Episode 5
- “You have to get started somehow.” - Benoy Thanjan, Episode 5